Sunday, March 7, 2010

A Letter to The UWM Post and SA's one party state

After being seated as an "At Large" senator, one would assume I'd be happy enough not to criticize the establishment. No such luck. A couple of days ago SA's official candidate list was released. It turns out there won't be one competitively elected seat this year. I am firmly opposed to this, and decided to write a letter to The Post. I would include the letter here, but blogger won't let me transfer a document. The letter will be included in tomorrow's issue of The Post, so anyone interested can check it out.

Instead of reitertating my points from the letter here, I'll include my thoughts on something I only learned thursday. Of the 34 seats open, 31 will go to member of UWM's one and only political party, ASAP. (acheiving student action through progress) That means besides myself, there are only two other independants! Can you say "one party state?" I believe this has to do with certain rules in the SA permitting a party to run candidates for senator if and only if they also run a candidate for the presidential/vice-presidential ticket. I intend to introduce a bill soon, hopefully with the sponsership of the other two independants in the election, to strike that clause from the election laws. Hopefully that will lead to other parties being active on campus.

My second senate meeting is coming up tuesday, and I hope to vote on a lot of legislation. I also hope to see a lot of spectators in the back, which brings me to another idea I've had recently. The senate should make time at the end of meetings to carry out a question and answer sessions with the people who show up to the meetings. It is nessesary for the people to feel dutifully represented in the SA.

No comments:

Post a Comment