Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Announcement

I've waited a long time to write this blog.

I hereby announce my candidacy for President of the Student Association. After much thought, I believe my experience serving the students as a Senator as well as Public Relations Director makes me qualified to help lead the organization into a year of productivity and progress. I have learned so much from my co-workers, the members of the Romero-Boeck administration, about SA policy, legislative advocacy, and administrative diplomacy. I've sharpened my skills at solving student problems during my year as a senator, and devoted many hours to learning SA history. I'm confident that the coalition I've helped build will serve the students of our campus like no other administration before us.

I've spent the last few months working on finding the most qualified and passionate people to run with, and I couldn't be happier with the results. We've crafted a party that will generate new and innovative ideas, without getting bogged down in the bureaucratic process that all too often ruins SA. Joining me are many current senators, whose dedication to advancing the will of the students shines through. I've planned an executive branch that will provide me and my running mate with honest advice as well as fresh ideas. As of tonight, our party boasts membership of 37 students. I've decided to run under the Achieving Student Action Through Progress Party (ASAP) which has the honorable history of having been a bulwark against corrupt administrations, and non-inclusive policies. ASAP is also the party of the Romero-Boeck administration. Although I didn't run as an ASAP candidate last year, I am glad to have worked with so many of their members, and I respect their drive. This year, the ASAP platform will be different, however our dedication to continuing the fight for increased student benefit will remain unchanged.

Unlike last year, ASAP will be facing some competition, as two current senators have announced they are going to be running also. Senators Campbell and Pugel are in the process of forming parties, and I expect them to give me quite a fight for office. During the last senate meeting, I amended the IEC bylaws to demand a public debate between presidential candidates. I look forward to meeting my opponents in this forum, as well as the chance to show the students ASAP's ideas for a better campus. I'm sure all you readers also want to know what my plans are, and what ways ASAP is going to work to improve the lives of UWM students, and I assure you that they will be made public soon. Our official website is going public in two weeks, and I'll also update on here with more info as the days progress. I probably could have waited a bit longer for this, but the excitement got the best of me!

I'll be heading to Green Bay this weekend for a UC meeting, and may run for a spot on the board. I'll update soon after with a report of how that went. Until then, I look forward to the many conversations I'll have with you all, as well as all the hard work that lies ahead. I pledge to give it my all, and the students will not be disappointed.

Cheers,

Alex.

No comments:

Post a Comment