Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Finding time to blog amidst Midterms

Sitting down in my favorite blogging chair, I’m glad to give myself a bit of a break from the constant rush of a week I’ve been having. With all able-bodied men, women, and children of the SA having being mobilized for the United Council Vote Initiative which ended today, I was honestly too busy to even give a report on Sunday’s senate meeting. Rather than attempt to do so now, I’ll just suffice to say it was a bit of an expected, if not uneventful meeting. With the happy exception of a few new senators being appointed, and the first outing for the newly elected Freshmen, it was quite uneventful. All of the old business, including the “Campus Life Act” and my “Senate Accountability Act” was passed, so look out wayward senators, and prepare for a quick and unforgiving dose of myself and Senator Ludwig’s blend of fast acting and hard hitting accountability. (BAM)

Unfortunately, and despite our best efforts, the SA failed to reach our goal of 2000 new voters registered on campus. I expect we’ll end up somewhere between 800-900. This is actually quite good for the number of volunteers we were forced to work with, which ended up being somewhere around 5-10. I wish the Senate would have done a bit more, and I’ll take the next chance to remind them to become a bit more active, during the next meeting.

A student-wide email went out today, naming 25 members of the Chancellor Search and Screen Committee. The two student representatives are the SA President and Vice President. I don’t know what screwed up math equation the board of regents was using to proportion the number of seats for the committee, but how did a campus of 30,000 students end up with only 2 student representatives on the committee? Bullshit.

I believe it would be a good decision for the two student representatives to call an informal committee to meet with interested students about the type of questions they want asked during the sessions. I believe as student representatives, they have a duty to listen to the concerns of the student body. I’ll bring this up to them ASAP. (no pun intended)

Also, the Union is donating $1,300 to the SA, which in turn will donate the full amount to the Haiti Relief Fund. It’s pretty generous of the Union to do this, although it’s a shame the original money was never found. And Katie, the Union donating money doesn’t prove your innocence, nor does it prove Michaels stole the money, if he did, why the hell wouldn’t Scott Gore fire him? Christ. This donation only shows that the Union is willing to move on from this embarrassing debacle, and keep the original goal in view, which was of course, donating money to Haiti.

I’ll try to be a bit more timely in updating, Menace fans (and Kyle) but being a full time student has its costs. I look forward to starting my new Public Relations Initiatives next week, which I’ll fill everyone in about later on.

Onwards and Upwards,

-Red Menace, out

No comments:

Post a Comment