Monday, September 27, 2010

Another eventful meeting

Every time I enter a senate meeting, I don't know what's going to happen. I may have an agenda, I may have spoken with senators beforehand, but each and every senate meeting is completely unscripted, and no matter how many senators seem agreeable and non-confrontational, chances are they'll be some drama. Yesterday's meeting was no different.

Senator Ludwig and I had been working on a accountability bill during the week before yesterday. Its aim was to nail down all branches of the SA to a common code of conduct, including writing weekly activity reports, recording hours, and appearing before the senate. We decided the best course of action would be to submit chunks of the bill bit by bit, until the goals were met. This included submitting a small piece of legislation setting the number of demerit points needed for removal from the senate at 12. We wished to go lower, to 9, but were informed a bill with 9 points would receive a presidential veto. After what happened later on in the meeting, its no surprise Travis isn't keen to depopulate the senate.

Besides that, I also had my "Equal Borrowing Privileges Act" up for consideration, which I'm proud to say passed unanimously early on in the meeting. After a lengthy opening, it was realized that the speaker had missed over twenty committee appointments when making the agenda, they would have to be added near the end. One of the largest bills up for consideration was the "Campus Life Act" which sought to extend the deadline for SAO's student org renewal process. Long story short, Senator Campbell and Kadulski left the meeting, which broke quorum, not allowing an extension, and also removing any chance of the committee posts being appointed. I've spent all day writing up versions of this story, so I'll just re-post the official SA press release on what happened. More info will be given soon.

-Red Menace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment