Thursday, September 2, 2010

Red Note

This will continue in my tradition of dashing off a quick blog before an upcoming senate meeting, then most likely writing something akin to Tolstoy afterward. School started today, and I'm pleased to find my classes invigorating and enjoyable. However after the whirlwind day over at the SA office, my classes are the farthest thing from my mind. (probably not a good thing)

I have decided to write another editorial for the UWM Post. This one will focus on something that should be pressing in every active student's mind, the growing athletic deficit. I did a bit of research for the piece today, and found some disturbing numbers. UWM's basketball coach Rob Jeter currently collects a salary of over $411,000, which places him at third in the Horizon league for salary. In the last four years as head coach, Jeter's Panthers haven't even broken into the top three in standing. In recruiting costs, the Panthers are second in the league at $80,000. I understand Athletics's unique place in college life, however should students really be paying so much to prop up a mediocre at best team? I doubt pumping more money into the problem is the way to go either. UWM's athletics program is over 9 million in debt, and now without a director.

In other news, I plan on introducing legislation at the Sept. 26th meeting, calling on the UWM Library System to allow undergraduates the same magazine and journal borrowing privileges given to graduate students and faculty. I also am about to investigate how to introduce more vegetarian options on campus. In preparation for these tasks I have submitted paperwork to join the University Dining Committee, B.O.S.S Advisory Committee, and Library Committee. I'm also going to attend a United Council vote-training event next upcoming weekend in Madison with Assistant Legislative Liaison Brent Johnson. Should be interesting, and hopefully fun. We'll make sure to show some Milwaukee pride.

This upcoming senate meeting should be quite interesting, and I hope people will attend. Other than that, make sure to check back on the 6th for a "menace summery" of the meeting.


See you on the 6th!

-Red Menace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment